- In response to Netflix‘s exclusive programming featuring their hit series House of Cards, Amazon announced in March 2013 that they were creating a Zombieland pilot. On April 19, 2013 they released Amazon Original Series as fourteen original pilots available free to Amazon Prime members. Users vote on their favorites and Amazon will likely produce two winners as full series. I share my thoughts on House of Cards and two of the Amazon pilots: Those Who Can’t and Betas. Follow-up from Episode 14. P.S. Downton Abbey fans, by the end of 2013, Prime Instant Video will be the only paid streaming service to offer Downton Abbey. Hulu Plus and Netflix are out.
- Google Now comes to iOS. Available since July 2012 for some Android users, Apple device owners now have access to the clairvoyant Google Now by signing into one’s Google account in the free Google app for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
The nascent Google Now is a more predictive digital assistant in ways that Siri can’t compete. Because Google records its users’ actions in all of its products (from web search to Maps to Gmail to Google+ and more) it has access to massive amounts of data and can triangulate personal information, behavior patterns, calendar events, contacts and more. There is major potential for Google Now. Some users have concerns over privacy issues. But personally, I’m happy to benefit from the data I’m already sharing with Google in exchange for predictive, personalized assistance. How will Apple and Facebook compete?
- Instagram app update: 5/3/13: Now you can tag other Instagram users in photos like you tag friends in Facebook photos. Tags must be approved.
- Best Brands on Twitter: Social Media startup Nestivity released their list of the top 25 most engaged brands on Twitter – we look at the top 10 and why they are successful.
About the List:
- Brands were selected based on the results of a study that examined how brands cultivate relationships with influencers, customers, and advocates on Twitter.
- Primarily using push marketing on Twitter doesn’t work (obviously)
- Conducted by Evolve Capital Inc. (private equity firm) and UCLA Anderson School of Management, the study looked at the top 100 most-followed brands on Twitter, analyzing over 739,000 tweets over one month.
- Significant: study was backed by a private equity/venture capital fund. Investors are paying attention and putting money into researching the success of brands on Twitter. Investor attention is often a barometer of the times; the players who have a major say in the lifespan and ultimate success of companies and industries are making a real connection between brand engagement on Twitter and a company’s bottom line.
- High follower count also did not necessarily equate with an engaged audience: “While all of the 25 most engaged Twitter accounts had over a million followers, so did the bottom 70% of the same.”
- 76% of content that was shared (RT’d) had a photo attached, and 18% had a video.
Top 10 Brands on Twitter:
- Notebook of Love
- Chelsea Football Club
- BBC Breaking News
- CNN Breaking News
Tips on Tap:
- Twitter Keyboard Shortcuts:
M = new direct message
N= new tweet
R = reply
T = retweet
GR = Mentions
GH = Home
GM – Messages
. = load new tweets
- Tips to resize and optimize layout of web images:
A. Two free tools to resize web images: Picresize and Resize Your Image
B. When resizing, choose small file sizes: Upload a PNG or JPG not too much larger than your desired image size. Choose PNG or JPG over BMP as the file format. Your site load times will benefit.
B. Have subjects (people, animals, products, etc.) facing in toward the block of text instead of outward and away from the text.
- Smartskin Condoms for Smartphones
Sex sells. This thermoplastic skin slips on and stretches to fit and protect your iPhone 4/4s/5 or Galaxy S3. Water-resistant plastic wraps retain touchscreen and call functionality and 98% camera clarity. Note that neither headphones nor cables can be used with Smartskin. Up to three uses per tab/pack. Smartskin from Firebox costs $18.50.
- Emily’s app recommendation for recording a podcast on iPad: Voice Record Pro (free app to record unlimited length with conversion to MP3 and share to Dropbox, Google Drive, soundcloud, email, Facebook etc.)
- Amazon Studios unveils 14 original pilots -CBS News, 4/19/13
- Google Now is one step ahead -The Boston Globe Techlab, 5/9/13
- 25 Of The Most Engaged Brands On Twitter -Mashable, 4/25/13
- 25 Clever Twitter Keyboard Shortcuts -Mashable, 2/20/13
- ‘Zombieland’ Pilot Debuts On Amazon, Viewers Can Vote For Their Favorite Series -Huffington Post, 4/19/13
- Five Quick Tips On Choosing And Creating Images For Your Website Or Blog -socialmediarevolver, 4/25/13
The Digital Dive Podcast is on Stitcher, the best free podcast streaming app. New to Stitcher? Please sign up with our link: