I. New Gmail Layout Threatens Email Marketing As We Know It
- Customer acquisitions gained via email marketing has quadrupled since 2009, with email delivering more customers than Facebook or Twitter. Custora Report via MarketingLand.
- Customers acquired via email were 11 percent more valuable than the average customer, while customers acquired via Facebook ranked as average. Custora Report via MarketingLand.
- Report from iContact finds that “83 percent of small and medium-size businesses say email is important or critically important to their overall marketing strategy. The report also notes that businesses are spending more of their marketing budgets on email than on any other tactic.”
- Marketing email open rate in North America is 25.7% according to Direct Marketing Association.
- iContact reports that 24% of email opens occur within an hour of delivery. After the first hour, that number drops to just 9%.
- 43% of email is now opened on a mobile device. Litmus Report.
- Mobile purchasing decisions are most influenced by Emails from companies (71%) only surpassed by the influence of Friends (87%). – Adobe “2013 Digital Publishing Report: Retail Apps & Buying Habits”
II. Beam My Map Up: In-Car GPS Navigation Moves to the Windshield
- GPS navigation company Garmin has developed the HUD for drivers (heads-up display). It’s a portable device that projects navigation info from a smartphone onto the car’s windshield.
- How: a transparent film affixes to the windshield, or an included reflector lens attaches to the device. You can see real-time navigation information in daytime and nighttime driving situations. The HUD supports iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone 8 devices when used in conjunction with the Garmin StreetPilot1 or Navigon app. HUD cradle: $129.
- Question: When will mobile phones have a native ability to beam onto windshield? This would negate the need for a separate one-trick pony Garmin dock.
III. Dads Hack Video Games to Reverse Gender Roles and Inspire Their Daughters
- Mario was now under Donkey Kong’s control
- Pauline was tasked with rescuing the plumber in distress.
Tips on Tap
The Digital Dive Podcast is on Stitcher, the best free podcast streaming app. New to Stitcher? Please sign up with our link: